Breast milk serves both as a source of nutrition and immunological support for the developing infant.The World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life in both developing and developed countries.The same explained in Nelson text book of pediatrics that is feeding in first 6 months life of infancy by exclusive breast milk. In Ayuredic classics also exclusive Stanya Pana for Sishu described up to 6 months then solid food has to be started.Breast milk should continue up to 2 years of age along solid foods. Additional food or liquid not required in infants feeding on breast milk during first 6 months,as breast milk completely supplies nutritional requirements of child and also protects child from infections providing immunity.
Breastfeeding is a beautiful connection of mother’s pleasure and infant’s privilege. Stana (Breast) is also termed as pranayatana (where prana resides) by Acharya Bhela, as it is the store of nectar for baby. Nature has designed the breast nearer to heart at the site of anaahat chakra which connects the mother and baby emotionally. World Breastfeeding Week 2010 has been observing during 1-7 August since 2010. So the slogan has aroused-
Breastfeeding is not an option, it’s a responsibility.
1) Breastfeeding plays a pivotal role for growth and development of body and remain a homeostasis of happy, healthy child free from ailments.
2) It is naturally sterile and breast feeding protects baby from many infections and diseases by making him/her immune to basic health hazards.
3) Breast milk always stays at right temperature that is suitable for the child.
4) Breast milk protects the child against a variety of bacteria and many diseases.
5) The milk available through breast feeding has got many digestive suitable for the newly developed digestive mechanism of the baby.